Updated: Sep 11, 2021
DISCOVERY BIBLE STUDY #8
Learning, Growing, SHARING OUR FAITH TOGETHER as a HOLY FAMILY
Through His WORD, God lets us ALL know how to be happy, truly blessed and successful in life!
Thank you, Families, for your PLEDGE to continue with our Discovery Bible
Study as FAMILY GROUPS to experience God even more fully in your life!
God is always looking for children and families who want to learn and grow to be all they were created to be and to share God’s love and care with others.
YOUR STORY THIS WEEK ABOUT JESUS IS:
Mark 5:1-20: Jesus Heals a Man Controlled by Demons
5 They went across the Sea of Galilee to the area of the Gerasenes. 2 Jesus got out of the boat. A man controlled by an evil spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 The man lived in the tombs. No one could keep him tied up anymore. Not even a chain could hold him. 4 His hands and feet had often been chained. But he tore the chains apart. And he broke the iron cuffs on his ankles. No one was strong enough to control him. 5 Night and day he screamed among the tombs and in the hills. He cut himself with stones.
6 When he saw Jesus a long way off, he ran to him. He fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “Jesus, Son of the Most High God, what do you want with me? Swear to God that you won’t hurt me!” 8 This was because Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you evil spirit!”
9 Then Jesus asked the demon, “What is your name?”
“My name is Legion,” he replied. “There are many of us.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.
11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs. Let us go into them.” 13 Jesus allowed it. The evil spirits came out of the man and went into the pigs. There were about 2,000 pigs in the herd. The whole herd rushed down the steep bank. They ran into the lake and drowned.
14 Those who were tending the pigs ran off. They told the people in the town and countryside what had happened. The people went out to see for themselves. 15 Then they came to Jesus. They saw the man who had been controlled by many demons. He was sitting there. He was now dressed and thinking clearly. All this made the people afraid. 16 Those who had seen it told them what had happened to the man. They told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to beg Jesus to leave their area.
18 Jesus was getting into the boat. The man who had been controlled by demons begged to go with him. 19 Jesus did not let him. He said, “Go home to your own people. Tell them how much the Lord has done for you. Tell them how kind he has been to you.” 20 So the man went away. In the area known as the Ten Cities, he began to tell how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.
FAMILY DISCOVERY BIBLE STUDY PROCESS
Check In: Go around and have each person answer:
1. What are you thankful for?
2. What are you struggling with or stressed out by lately?
3. Is there something we can do to help? How can we PRAY for you? BE SURE TO PRAY
REVIEW WHAT YOU LEARNED Last Week
(unless this is your first week then skip this part.)
Ask someone to retell the story from the last time you met.
How did you do with your last week’s “I WILL” statement?
Who did you tell the story to? (How did they respond?)
READ and RETELL THE STORY TOGETHER Read through the story two times. Have each person retell the story in his/her own words. (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!! If we can’t tell it, we still don’t “know” it
DISCUSS THE STORY TOGETHER
4. What do we learn about God from this passage?
5. What do we learn about people? Ourselves?
6. What do we feel led by the Lord to apply/obey this week? I WILL……
7. Who are you going tell this story to this week?
Please text your Family Catechesis Coach when your family has completed your Weekly Discovery Bible Study so we can celebrate with YOU!
OUR FAMILY PLEDGE
We will continue to meet weekly as a FAMILY GROUP and complete the stories of HOPE about Jesus.
10 Stories of HOPE (about JESUS)
___1. Luke 17:11-18 (The ONE Grateful Leper)
___2. Mark 2:1-12 (Jesus Heals/Forgives the Man who Couldn’t Walk)
___3. Mark 4:35-41 (Jesus Calms the Storm)
___4. Matthew 14:22-33. (Peter Walks on the Water)
___5. Luke 19:1-10. (Jesus LOVES Zacchaeus the Tax Collector)
___6. Luke 15:11-32 (The Story of the Faithful Father/The Lost Son)
___7. Luke 18:9-14 (The Pharisee and the Tax Collector)
___8. Mark 5:1-20 (Jesus Heals a Man Controlled by Demons)
___9. Luke 7:36-50 (A Woman Pours Perfume on Jesus)
___10. Mark 4:1-20. (The Story of the Farmer and the Seeds)
FAMILY CATECHESIS DISCOVERY BIBLE QUESTIONS
1. What are we thankful for?
I am so grateful that all I need to do is ASK God to help me and He promises to guide me as I listen with my heart.
2. What are we stressed out about or struggling with?
I want to be sure that we follow God’s WILL and PLAN for identifying the leaders we develop for the future and the children and families we serve.
3. How can we help as a TEAM?
Let us all pray and corporately discern our next steps for NCOI for the coming year and beyond.
4. What do we learn about God in this story?
1. Where no persons could restrain the evil spirits controlling the man, Jesus has power over evil spirits who recognize him as the Son of the Most High
2. Jesus speaks directly to the evil spirits who are tormenting the man, causing him to scream and cut himself.
3. Jesus delivered the man controlled by demons. The man in his right mind, then wanted to follow God.
4. Through God’s power, Jesus freed the whole geographic area of at least 2000 demons by placing them into the pigs who rushed off the cliff and died.
5. Jesus ministered in “enemy territory”in the land of the Canaanite Gods
6. After God heals the man, he sends him back to his family to tell them how much the Lord has done for him, and how God had mercy on him.
5. What do we learn about people?
1. People who are controlled with even strong and powerful demons can be delivered and healed by God’s power. They can live a full life with God now and forever.
2. No one on their own has the power to control the evil spirits that seek to harm human souls. They need Jesus’ power in them.
3. After God heals our souls from the influence of demons in our lives, we yearn for a right relationship with Him, to follow Him and share the love and mercy God offers us.
4. Some of the people (like the pig farmers who lost their pigs) reacted in fear of God’s divine power in Jesus. They told Jesus to go away.
6. What are we led by the Lord to apply/obey this week? I WILL……
I WILL say the Lord’s PRAYER from my heart every day, asking God to bring to mind and deliver me from the evil that keeps me from receiving God’s healing love and mercy. This will free me to share God’s divine love and healing with others. I will pray for them to do the same. This is the new life that Jesus offers us in His Kingdom now and forever.
7. Who will you share this story with this week?
I will share this story with our NCOI Leadership TEAM to share with Family Group Leaders.
DEMONS: Any influence in our lives that takes us away from being healthy and whole to fully receive and share God’s LOVE with others.